Our Charity

Our Charity

Tuesday 21 June 2011

ABERDOVEY (the real version)


ABERDOVEY (the real version)
After constantly watching the weather reports for the last week, I was not looking forward to the Wolvo to Aberdovey bike ride. We were going to get soaked.
So, bag packed the night before, (two towels, a full change of clothes, waterproof coats and gloves, neck warmer and waterproof socks) I slept in the knowledge that I was prepared for anything this English weather could throw at me.
I awoke, pleasantly surprised it was not yet p*****g it down, but anticipating that it eventually would, because the BBC weather forecast said it would, and put mine and Adrian’s bikes on the roof of the car, after I’d had breakfast of course (most important meal of the day, according to mom)
Myself, Adrian, Keith and  Paul Greaves, had agreed to leave from my house and meet up with the mini bus at Dudley. So yes, I would have all four bikes on the roof of the Volvo, and yes, they easily out valued (by a lot of £££’s) the value of the car. (thanks Tris)
Surprise, surprise, guess who turned up first, and, who had cycled the 2 miles to mine, KEITH, (no, you don’t win a prize, that was too easy to guess) he was quickly followed by the others and we set off to Dudley, where we met up with the mini bus, transferred everything over to it and set off to the shrine (sorry, The Molineux, probably the best starting point they have ever had)
After signing on, John loading up the mini bus, (he was looking after the first check point, bless him) Daddy Davies sweet talking some photographer to take our photo , and the words “IF WE GET SPLIT UP, WE’LL ALL MEET AT THE FIRST CHECKPOINT” shouted out, we were given the OK to ride to Aberdovey. Little did we know Daddy Davies was deaf, and that, would be the last we would see of him, and:-
IT WAS STILL NOT RAINING
First checkpoint reached, refreshed, and passed (no Davies, no Paul Greaves, who had gone on) and John & Phil doing a wonderful job giving out bananas and water, we made towards C/P 2. We being me, Keith, Tris and Adrian.
Now, after taking in a lot of fluid (don’t want to get de-hydrated) your body lets you know when it’s full and you have to answer its call, and having found myself on the front of our group AGAIN, I can distinctly remember saying to persons behind “ I going to stop for a ****”, obviously this message was not passed back (daddy Davies was not the only one suffering from a hearing impediment) and as I pulled up all hell broke loose behind.
All I know is, I entered this field to, well, you know, and found this guy behind me, who I did not know asking me if I was OK, to which I replied, “I’ve only stopped for a ****, why?” I was later informed, in no uncertain terms that I had nearly caused a major pile up and that the guy who followed me into the field did so because he had nowhere else to go to avoid coming off his bike. I felt doubly guilty after, when I was told that the same guy had been knocked off his bike the previous week and was still very nervous. To all involved, if you ever read this I am truly SORRY., but:-
IT WAS STILL NOT RAINING
I feel that I was later punished by some higher power, however, because over the course of the route one of the screws that holds a bottle cage in place, sheared off and allen keys fell out of the saddle bag, causing us to stop again. I was not having a good day, but:-
IT WAS STILL NOT RAINING
I can honestly say that the remainder of the ride was quite uneventful but enjoyable, though the pace was quite high and trying to keep up with Tris and Keith was nigh on impossible. (please slow down on the E2E, lads, but:-
IT STILL HADN’T RAINED
I arrived in Aberdovey after six and half hours of riding, feeling OK, and the Achilles feeling not too bad.
I do remember thinking though, that we would have to spend these sorts of hours in the saddle for 12 consecutive days on the E2E. (OMG)
A shower, a change of clothes and a cup of tea later I was feeling much better, and we were soon on our way back to Dudley, (I hoped, seeing as I fell asleep on the way back) thanks to John and Phil. (not for boring me to sleep but for driving)
After loading the bikes back on the car, guess what:- IT STILL HADN’T RAI~~, No, No, your wrong:-
IT STARTED RAINING
The only time the bikes got wet was when we were back in Dudley on our way home, who would’ve forecast that, obviously NOT the BBC.

Posted by Dave...

No comments:

Post a Comment