Our Charity

Our Charity

Monday 20 June 2011

Aberdovey (The rider's perspective)

Well what can I say about the Aberdovey bike ride that we all just took part in? It was the furthest I have ever ridden before by some 20 odd miles and for the majority I didn't think I was going to get anywhere near to finishing it.

For me I was woken at 5am with a feeling of dread and nerves in the pit of my stomach as I was and am still recovering from a leg injury which involves my IT band. Don't ask me 'cause I don't really know what it is either. All I know is it hurts to pedal my bike and I now feel like I will never cycle again without some measure of pain. I am currently having needles jammed into my leg by a Physio which is making it better though as usual, not as fast as I would like. What a whinger! The day before Aberdovey I had, had one such session where a small movement of the needle made me want to jump onto the ceiling with pain and caused a sheen of perspiration to form on my brow as I thanked the needle pusher on my way out. Cheers, I think.

I also had taken my bike for a pre-LEJOG service. It worked perfectly before it went in and even debated taking it in at all. I wish I hadn't bothered, nothing works as it should and I know I will be spending some time tinkering with it until it's right. Oh well, you live and learn.

I arrived at Dudley Police Station to join with the others and whilst sitting eating a pre-ride bacon butty from from the Golden Arches I could see a Volvo arrive at the crest of the hill struggling with the amount of bikes it had on it's roof. From looking at them I could easily tell that the cost of the four bikes on it's roof easily outstripped the value of their means of transportation. I could also tell from the looks I was getting that others wished they too had the foresight to visit that most famous fast food emporium.

The start was in Wolverhampton at the Molineux at was a bit of a tight squeeze at the start due to there being over three hundred riders. As the ride started I saw Daddy Davies ride off into the distance and I could hear "If we split up, wait at the first check point". That would be the last we would see of him until the end. But that's a different story.

The ride started off well. We stuck together (apart from Paul) and I felt my confidence rise as I only felt the pull in my knee a couple of miles from the first check point. Once there I gave it a good stretch which seemed to do the trick and away we went on the scout for our missing team member who had left just before us.

I won't bore you too much more about the ride it's self. Apart from the weather, although overcast stayed in the main good and that Dave managed to nearly kill someone when he decided to stop suddenly without telling the men behind. All I saw as I glanced behind was a poor fellow entering a field via a conveniently open gate saving him from quite a nasty spill.

My knee got progressively worse, though it was bearable. What stressed me out the most was Keith's fitness. Now he has retired and has nothing else to do other than ride his brand new bike around all day every day and his stamina was amazing. Towards the end Keith and I made a breakaway and I struggled.

The last 9 miles were the worst as I put my head down and tried to keep Keith's back tyre in my view. There is nothing more demoralizing (Police cuts included) than seeing the chap ahead pull effortlessly away and not being able to keep up. If you were to see me on the last stretch you would probably have heard a strange chanting to the tune of "The little engine that could.". "I am done...I am done...I am done...Keith wait for me!"

Let's not be under any illusions, as I passed under the finish flag I was shot. Both knees were ready for the knacker's yard and all energy was drained. As I was passed the Aberdovey finisher's mug I had to use everything to not take a tumble off my bike and smile for the camera. (The poor chap behind me couldn't muster the energy and did fall off!) Daddy Davies and I were reunited but I wasn't for speaking to him for several minutes and it was off for a shower and then home. I was told that I was catching flies on the bus; Keith had in fact talked  me to sleep!

The day was a success, I really enjoyed it. My knees however did not. Three days later they both feel better and my injury has gone back to the same level as it was pre-Aberdovey. There is still hope.
I think I should be able to manage the End2End with the help pain killers but the gift of being able to walk after may be something else.

Tris

No comments:

Post a Comment